Friday, January 27, 2012

Today's gift from my son.

My days are measured by those special times when I connect with my little boy and for an instant the world and all its distractions go away.  I am his world in that moment and it feels as if our hearts are beating as one, our breaths are parallel, and our eyes embrace.  This morning I had that moment and I just can't get enough of them.

Eye contact is rare and when I do receive it, I am thankful.  It was this morning while waiting for the bus his eyes met mine and he said "Mrs. Nesbitt?".
"Yes, Sweetie, Mrs. Nesbitt is at your old school." We had moved two years ago when he was in first grade to where we are now.  He then looked up and away and I could tell he was thinking.  He looked back at me.
"Rachel?"
"Yup, she's there too." His one on one aide that called by her first name.
"Mrs. Hutchins?"
"Yes Sweetie, she's there too."
It was a simple dialogue with my precious boy that I was told would never happen.  It was him opening up his mind to show me that he does remember things, people and places but he cannot formulate the words to tell me.  But naming his three teachers who all worked with him at a particular school two years ago gave me a glimpse into his world I know so little about.  "What is in there?" I want to ask.  "Please share with me, let me in."  And then the moment was gone when his eyes turned away.
"Fourty-four....eight...bus eight....1943" Back to repeating numbers...I've lost him.
Thank you Sweetie for sharing with me your memories.  I love you so much.

No comments: