Friday, February 17, 2012

A Third Grade Angel



This video reminds me of a little girl in my son's class who helps him with social skills at school.  Every afternoon she comes down to my son's contained classroom to color with him, play with him, and even read to him.  He lights up at the sight of her but he has never told me about her....because he can't.  I do hear about her from his teacher and how wonderful she is and how much she looks forward to helping him in the afternoons.  I have wondered what her parents think of her helping my son out and if they have any idea of how special she is and how much this means to me.  Kids don't typically notice my son for how wonderful he is.  They just notice that he can't communicate with them and that he doesn't interact with the way they would expect.  They are tolerant of him but aren't sure how to interact.  But Katelyn is unique.  She's as a third grader who sees beyond the usual expectations kids have of each other and meets my son where he is and stays there with him.  This is an amazing ability for a young child since usually those who try to interact with my son soon give up.  I am grateful for any effort a child makes to talk to my son and understand the challenge of trying to interact with a child who won't look at you, won't talk to you, and has no idea of how to play with you.  But Katelyn is more persistent than that and though I have yet to meet her, I know she is an exceptional little girl and I'm so grateful for her for being in my son's life.
I visited my son's special education room on Valentine's Day and had lunch with my son and his friends who also spend most of their day there.  Its a small group of about 4 kids with their one on one aides and the special ed teacher.  They all had pizza, fruit, and cookies for dessert.  I was witnessing my son in his world that he can't tell me about.  One thing I love about my son is that he is himself no matter where he is and just because I was there he was still himself for his teachers.
As we ate pizza I chatted with the other teachers.  It was nice to hear about the cute things my son has been doing in class or with his peers.  One thing I noticed was how much of a conversation we could have as adults.  The other kids ate quietly while the adults talked.  All of these kids had severe language delays and the contrast to a typical scene with third graders screamed in my ears louder than their silence.  Such a different world and for a moment I was reminded of that.
My son's special ed teacher then turned the subject to Katelyn.  She showed me a Valentine's Day placemat she helped my son make.  It was a butterfly made out of hearts and glued onto a piece of paper that was laminated.  She said that she met her mom and she shared with her mom all that she was doing with my son.  Her mom mentioned that every time they are out shopping and she sees Toy Story stuff Katelyn thinks of my son and starts talking about him.  The Toy Story movies and characters are an obsession for my son right now.  That warmed my heart.  My son's teacher said as she shared more about what Katelyn is doing with my son it made her mom cry.  I guess she does know how special her little girl is.  I hope I get to meet her.  I'd especially like to meet her mom and just thank her for her little girl and what she is doing in my son's life.

When I think of the next generation of therapists and special education teachers I think of her and hope.     

No comments: